The Papaya is a natural wonder; alluring in it's sweet taste and depth of colour, which was originally discovered in Mexico, but flourishes in all tropical and sub-tropical parts of the world.
Traditionally it is used in ancient Indian medicine, Ayurveda. In Cuba the milky white latex of the unripe papaya is used to cure psoriasis and ringworm, in Mexico the leaves are crushed then used to make a tea, and in Java the flowers are actually eaten.
In the Western world one is well aware of the phrase "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" but in Hawaii it is the papaya that applies.
This gift of nature has many properties that benefit the body, some of which are listed below:
- The anti-inflammatory effects of the chief enzyme papain can relieve the pain of Osteo arthritis
- The enzyme enhances digestion thereby assisting acid reflux and bloating
- Papaya is rich in fibre which can reduce the risk of colon cancer
- The presence of vitamin A is excellent for the health of the skin and eyes, particularly to protect against macular degeneration, basically explained as a small break in the retinal tissue at the back of the eye
- Papaya is rich in Potassium which plays a role in heartbeat and blood pressure
- Medically the enzyme papain is incorporated into topical drugs, having the ability to remove dead tissue from various lesions
- The papaya seeds ingested can detoxify the system. As these are of a bitter nature and not too palatable they are best swallowed whole
- Ointments having papain can be used on cuts, rashes, stings and burns for relief
- As papain has the ability to break down the tough fibres in meat, it is used as a component in meat tenderisers
In the beauty industry extracts of papaya have excellent exfoliating properties to slough off dry, dead surface skin cells, are used in shampoos, soaps, shower gels and anti-ageing creams.
Exfoliation of the skin promotes better cell turn-over resulting in lighter, fresher skin tones. For this reason many companies produce skin lightening products that contain papain.
In conclusion, the MATSIMELA brand has long known the benefits of fruits in the cosmetic industry. Marula Nut, Baobab Seed, Litchi & Rose, Ginger & Lime and Red Berry all available variants will give you the boost you need in your body care regime.